PolicyWorks is proud to be recognized as a “founding funder” of the National Disability Mentoring Coalition (NDMC). NDMC was established to honor those who are making a significant difference in the lives of youth and adults with disabilities through mentoring and to raise awareness about the importance of mentoring for individuals with disabilities. The mission of the NDMC is to increase the awareness, quality and impact of mentoring for individuals with disabilities across the nation.
Member organizations share core values and align with the Coalition’s initiatives to streamline communication, standardize and systematize data collection, reduce duplication of efforts, increase mentoring opportunities and improve outcomes for individuals with disabilities.
The Coalition integrates mentoring into its own operational model to transfer historical knowledge, incorporate reverse mentoring to generate innovation, and develop new opportunities for individuals with disabilities across their lifespan. NDMC’s core activities focus on:
- Awareness – Spotlighting the critical role of mentoring as a disability inclusion strategy that promotes successful academic, employment and independent living outcomes;
- Connections – Facilitating communication among stakeholders and sharing information about “what works” in disability mentoring;
- Resources – Providing training, technical assistance, and a referral network to grow the number of mentors and strengthen the impact of mentoring experiences;
- Inclusion – Facilitating mentoring opportunities for people of diverse backgrounds and abilities in all settings; and
- Recognition – Honoring excellence in mentoring through the Susan M. Daniels Disability Mentoring Hall of Fame.