March was a busy travel month for PolicyWorks staff. We hosted two events in New York City and one in Boston for Lights! Camera! Access! 2.0, but the core of our travel was to re-connect with partners and colleagues in D.C.
We are very fortunate to have strong relationships with national disability leaders and organizations. We focused on discussion of our Peer Mentoring and WINTAC work and discussed with individuals and groups their ideas about how PolicyWorks could strengthen and move their programs forward as appropriate explored future potential partnerships.
Our visits took us to meet with –
- Camille Ortiz, Commissioner, Office of Disabilities, Health and Human Services (HHS)
- Jerry Elliott, Rehabilitation Services Administration
- Bob William, Administration on Community Living (ACL)
- Michael Murray and the team from the National Institute On Disability, Independent Living and Rehabilitation Research, NIDILRR
- Michael Morris and Elizabeth Jennings, National Disability Institute
- Curtis Richards, Institute on Educational Leadership
- Andy Imparato, American Association of University Centers on Disability
- Paula Viellet, My Employment Options
We also met with current and former board members in the DC area, including Rayna Aylward, Kristen Willard and Jeanne Argoff.
Our thanks to all our partners and colleagues. These meetings helped us understand the current environment, the possibilities and unmet needs in the disability community. Thank you for helping us move our current programs forward and explore initiating new ones.